🙃 Pragmatic design & discovery coach.
I can help you make real progress fast, especially when you’re stuck in the weeds of complex, ambiguous challenges.
Your success always depends on the behaviours of people and systems outside your control. Start with those.
Author of Innovation Tactics (get 10% off through the link on this page) – a new Pip Decks deck, now available 🚀
- Former Head of Product Design at Relive, Apploi, Qubit. 20+ years in design, research and experimentation.
- I created Pivot Triggers – a set of lightweight scaffolding that helps teams master adaptive strategy by doing discovery and delivery at the same time.
- Looking for support with product or service strategy? Book a call and let’s find out if I can help through consulting or faciliation.
- Taking the next step in your design or research career? Keen to become more strategic and influential? Get in touch about individual and group coaching.
- LinkedIn | Twitter | Substack
Get your hands on the most powerful and pragmatic product methods I’ve found and remixed over 20 years.
“From every lesson I learned something where I thought "ok this is good, and usable for a team of designers I have.”” – Jan Rezac
“super easy to grasp and really human-friendly … almost tricks us getting faster outcomes that increase confidence against a specific idea.” – Michele Mazzucco
Ready to book? Go here.
- I write on my **Substack,** including …
- A trip into the estuary
Notes from a recent strategy workshop. I share a new complex facilitation method that uses metaphor to break habitual patterns, empowering teams to start new journeys.
- Pivots and Triggers
A feature interview on JP Castlin’s newsletter, where we talk about the Vision Chasm and the MVP Death Spiral, among other things …
- Signals > Stories > Options
A simple method that will help you generate new ideas and see new possibilities.
- Are you trying to leap directly from data to action? It’s not that simple.
The precursor to Signals > Stories > Options, this introduces the role of knowledge in interpreting data, turning DIKW on its head.
- How much research is just enough research? How much is too much?
My most-shared article. A graph popped into my head when I couldn't sleep. It showed a lot about why teams struggle to build an effective research habit, and what we can do about that.
- Fear-Driven Development
What’s behind all those disagreements and misalignments you get stuck in? It’s a predictable but hidden set of different fears. Here I introduce the “Time Machine” exercise, which helps you get those hidden fears out in the open, helping you have much better discussions and get unstuck.
- The secret to 10x feedback
“I assume you know that this is terrifying, right?” This is my most valuable and worst-hidden technique for writers, designers and makers of all stripes. Use it if you dare.
- How do you generate ideas you couldn’t have had?
A conversation with Dave Snowden about SenseMaker and new practices for design in an increasingly complex world.
- The thorny case of the solutionising colleague
- Don’t send that survey! Here’s what to do instead
- Shaping Trios Workshop Playbook – a fast and easy format to gather diverse perspectives and pull an actionable plan out of an ambiguous opportunity
- I have also ranted on **Twitter …** we’ll see if that continues.
Triangley roof photo by R M on Unsplash.
Innovator’s Cheat Sheet