🙃 Pragmatic product design & discovery leader. I can help your teams make real progress fast, especially if you’re stuck on a messy, complex, ambiguous challenge.
Your success always depends on the behaviours of people and systems outside your control. Start with those.
Get your hands on the most powerful and pragmatic product methods I’ve found and remixed over 20 years.
“From every lesson I learned something where I thought "ok this is good, and usable for a team of designers I have.”” – Jan Rezac
“super easy to grasp and really human-friendly … almost tricks us getting faster outcomes that increase confidence against a specific idea.” – Michele Mazzucco
Ready to book? Go here. Got some questions first? Go here.
Author of Innovation Tactics – a new **Pip Decks** deck, launching early 2023 🚀
Creator of Pivot Triggers – a set of lightweight scaffolding that helps teams innovate confidently by doing discovery and delivery at the same time in the right order.
- Former Head of Product Design at Relive ****and Apploi. I’m currently looking for a new role, ideally leading designers and researchers in getting more value out of discovery for innovation.
- I write on my **Substack,** including …
- A trip into the estuary
Notes from a recent strategy workshop. I share a new complex facilitation method that uses metaphor to break habitual patterns, empowering teams to start new journeys.
- Pivots and Triggers
A feature interview on JP Castlin’s newsletter, where we talk about the Vision Chasm and the MVP Death Spiral, among other things …
- Signals > Stories > Options
A simple method to generate new ideas through new stories
- Are you trying to leap directly from data to action? It’s not that simple.
The precursor to Signals > Stories > Options, this introduces the role of knowledge in interpreting data, turning DIKW on its head.
- How much research is just enough research? How much is too much?
My most-shared article. A graph popped into my head when I couldn't sleep. It showed a lot about why teams struggle to build an effective research habit, and what we can do about that.
- Fear-Driven Development
What’s behind all those disagreements and misalignments you get stuck in? It’s a predictable but hidden set of different fears. Here I introduce the “Time Machine” exercise, which helps you get those hidden fears out in the open, helping you have much better discussions and get unstuck.
- The secret to 10x feedback
This is my most valuable and worst-hidden technique for writers, designers and makers of all stripes. As one person said, “I assume you know that this is terrifying, right?”
- How do you generate ideas you couldn’t have had?
A conversation with Dave Snowden about SenseMaker and new practices for design in an increasingly complex world.
- The thorny case of the solutionising colleague
- Don’t send that survey! Here’s what to do instead
- Shaping Trios Workshop Playbook – a fast and easy format to gather diverse perspectives and pull an actionable plan out of an ambiguous opportunity
- I have ranted on **Twitter …** we’ll see if that continues.
- When there are gaps in doing all the above, I offer coaching for folks looking to expand their design strategy and research influence. Ask me for availability.
Triangley roof photo by R M on Unsplash.